Thursday, March 02, 2006

To Blog or Not to Blog

Today I have a snow day, so I have time for reflection. I have been reading my rss feeds. I keep up with a few blogs through My Yahoo. One of my feeds is my own blog. The feed sits there day after day with nothing new posted. My blog has been in existence for more than a year, and up until today there were only three posts in it. I still post occasionally to my thread on the tabletpcbuzz.com. That thread is more of a blog than this one, and I started it to document my use of the tablet pc in a forum where people were actually likely to see my posts. And although I don't get many comments people occasionally chime in with a comment, or simply to say that they are reading.

http://www.tabletpcbuzz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21618

I started this blog, on the other hand, primarily to experience setting one up. I didn't expect anyone to be interested in following it and I was afraid that I would not keep up with it. I felt that I would look foolish if I didn't keep up with it, or that I would disappoint people in some way by not keeping up with it. I had a vision of a blog as something that makes an important contribution on a continuing basis. Somehow letting a thread on a big website die out wouldn't seem to be such a public failing.

But now that I understand how rss works I realize that it is easy to keep up with a number of blogs without having to navigate to each one every day to check for content. I also see that bloggers don't necessarily post every day.

There was also the issue of visibility. I wanted to be visible to the people who cared about my topic, but did I want to be visible to the nearly 100 high school students I teach?

And now I have another motive. I have this inkling feeling that I just might be capable of making a large enough contribution to the community to be recognized as a tablet MVP. But if I do that through a thread on someone else's web site is anyone likely to notice? Don't mind me... I've always had delusions of grandeur.

So if anyone is reading I would like your opinion. Should I stop the thread on the buzz and put my energies into the blog? When I have time over the summer should I root out the most interesting posts from the buzz thread and retroactively post them to provide a concise history of my tablet usage? Let me know what you think. I will be posting a link to this entry in my buzz thread.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home